What is Hyperventilation Syndrome?
Hyperventilation Syndrome is a disorder in which the RATE of breathing becomes abnormally high. This differs from dysfunction breathing in which the PATTERN of breathing becomes abnormal - however both condition can and often do present simultaneously. This increase rate of breathing causes a drop in CO2 in the body which creates a number of adverse and quite serious symptoms.
How do I know if I have Hyperventilation Syndrome?
- Bronchiectasis is normally diagnosed based by a respiratory physician after ruling out a variety of other medical causes for the presenting symptoms
- Common signs and symptoms include
- chest tightness
- pins and needles
- cold hand and feet
- difficult to relax and wind down
- shortness of breathe
How can Functional Lungs help my Hyperventilation Syndrome?
- Often by the time hyperventilation syndrome is diagnosed the breathing rate and patterns perpetuating the disorder are often so ingrained into neural patterns that they are very difficult to break
- At functional we provide a comprehensive assessment to uncover precipitating factors
- Thorough assessment and re-training of breathing patterns
- Exercise to re-accustom yourself to normal levels of CO2
- Exercises to effectively slow and control breathing in a way that does not further exacerbate breathlessness and perpetuate the problem