What is Bronchiectasis?
Bronchiectasis is a condition in which the bronchioles (pipes the lung) become widened produce greater than normal amounts of phlegm. Much like Cystic Fibrosis a comprehensive airway clearance program is essential for preventing the build up phlegm in the lungs which causes breathlessness and recurrent lung infections. If untreated bronchiectasis is progressive and lead to serious decline in lung function and overall health.
How do I know if I have Bronchiectasis?
- Bronchiectasis is normally diagnosed based on a combination of a chest CT scan and presence of a common set of signs and symptoms
- Common signs and symptoms include
- coughing up phlegm every day
- having frequent chest infections that require antibiotics
- admission to hospital for severe chest infections
- phlegm that tastes bad
How can Functional Lungs help my Bronchiectasis?
- Teach airway clearance (chest physiotherapy) to help you easily and efficiently clear phlegm and reduce the chance of lung infections
- Provide in depth education on how the lungs work and how bronchiectasis alters this normal physiology
- Provide reconditioning exercises in the form of Pulmonary Rehabilitation
- Provide breathing training to reduce breathlessness and increase the strength of your lungs
- Teach proper coughing technique which reduces the chance of chronic pain and pelvic floor damage
- Provide education on diet management, using oxygen, swallowing and talking, correct use of medications, falls prevention and much more...