What is Active Lungs?
Active Lungs is our iconic pulmonary rehabilitation program that uses state of the art technology to enhance the strength and efficiency of your lungs. Strong lungs is proudly endorsed by the Lung Foundation Australia and is leading the way in providing on-demand high quality pulmonary rehabilitation.
How will Active Lungs help me?
Active Lungs is a program based on years of high quality research into improving exercise tolerance and quality of life for those with lung diseases.
Things you can expect after completing Active Lungs:
- improved exercise tolerance
- a decrease in breathlessness
- a decreased likelihood of hospital admissions
- decreased anxiety and depression
- improved quality of life
Who is active lungs for?
Active Lungs is for anyone who feels their breathing lets them down in their day to day life.
Clinical trials have shown pulmonary rehabilitation to be particularly beneficial for those with:
- COPD (Emphysema and Bronchitis)
- Pre and Post Surgery
- Interstitial Lung Diseases (Silicosis, Pulmonary Fibrosis, Asbestosis)
- Pulmonary Hypertension
What is involved in Active Lungs?
Active lungs uses a combination of gym based exercise, home activity tracking, direct lung strengthening and in depth respiratory education to gain the most of our your lungs.
What to expect:
- Extensive pre-program testing - including maximum lung strength testing, hand dynamometry, leg strength testing and much more
- Individualised programs - based on your individual pre-program testing
- 8 week gym program - with our expert strong lungs trainers
- Weekly evaluation - of lung strength, step count and strength
- Activity tracking - we provide you with an activity tracker to ensure you are getting the most out of every day
- Direct lung strengthening - with our specialised inspiratory muscle trainers
- Post - program evaluation - so you can see the amazing improvements you get from the program
What is the Active Lungs Walking Group?
Increasing your daily steps plays a huge role in strengthening your lungs. However we understand that this is easier said than done. Our Active Lungs Walking Group is a totally FREE initiative that provides an opportunity for people with lung diseases to meet regularly and work together to achieve their daily exercise goals! Find out more details about the Strong Lungs Walking Group here.
How do I sign up?
Active Lungs is currently only run at our Wollongong Clinic.
Contact our reception team on Ph: 4207 9999 to secure your spot in the next program.
Can I use private health insurance?
Yes private health insurance rebates are accepted!